The Sam Bernstein Law Firm

(888) CALL-SAM (888) 225-5726
(888) 225-5726
Do You Have a Case?

Free.Simple.Quick.Takes less than 60 sec.

2. About Your Case
3. Last Step
Thank You. Submit and get our No Fee Guarantee® and the Bernstein Advantage® today.
* required

Bicycle Accidents

Bicycle Accident Lawyer in Michigan

Collisions between motor vehicles and bicycles can be particularly dangerous. In 2015, 818 people lost their lives in bicycle/motor vehicle crashes, more than two people every day of the year in the U.S. This represents a 6 percent increase in bicyclist fatalities since 2006 and a 12.2 percent increase from the previous year (2014). If you have been injured in a bicycle accident, you will need an experienced bicycle accident lawyer to handle your case to make sure that all of your legal rights are protected, and that you are getting the optimal result.

Studies have shown that injured parties that have legal representation obtain much greater recoveries than injured persons that choose to represent themselves.

Damages in Bicycle Accident Cases

Victims of bicycle accidents often suffer serious and debilitating injuries due to the accident. Even if the car was going at a low speed at the time of impact, the sheer force of a car coming into contact with a person on a bike could have devastating consequences. Victims may lose substantial income from work or may have to take significant time away from school.

In addition, the injured party may have to deal with serious injuries and the resulting consequences, such as major surgery, extensive rehabilitation, and permanent disability. In personal injury law, these losses are referred to as damages. Damages may also include medical bills.

By bringing a personal injury case against the negligent driver, if successful, the victim may be able to make a substantial recovery. This recovery may include the cost of any medical bills for past and future medical treatment needed due to the accident. Additionally, compensation can include reimbursement for wages lost, as well as a sum for pain and suffering as a result of the injuries sustained in the bicycle collision.

What to Do If You Have Been Hurt in a Bicycle Accident

Of course, the first and most important step you should take after getting injured in a bicycle/car collision is to get medical care right away. Once you have gotten any necessary medical treatment, you can begin focusing on your personal injury case. To help build your case against the negligent driver, it is a good idea to take pictures of the scene of the accident, as well as your bicycle and the vehicle involved if you are able to do so.

You will also want to be sure to preserve any necessary evidence, including the bicycle itself, even though you may be inclined to throw it out if it has been damaged beyond repair. Finally, it is important not to speak to the at-fault driver’s insurance company. An insurance adjuster from the company that ensures the driver of the vehicle may contact you and request a recorded statement from you. Even if you are confident that you can accurately relay your version of the events, you should wait and consult with an attorney before you agree to a statement of any kind.

Contact us before you speak with the at-fault driver’s insurance company. Without consulting with a bicycle accident attorney, you may end up prematurely settling your case for less than you deserve. Our law firm has the bicycle accident lawyer to fight and win your bicycle accident case. Don’t delay in getting the benefits that you deserve.


Legal Resources

The following sections have more information on Bicycle Accidents:

  • What does “No Fault Insurance” mean?

    No Fault insurance is a system where your own insurance company pays most of your economic losses resulting from a car accident, whether or not it was your fault. These benefits are known as “First-Party Benefits” or “Personal Injury Protection (PIP)” benefits. These benefits include wage loss, medical bills, attendant care, and mileage reimbursement.

    Non-economic losses, including damages for pain and suffering for the injuries you suffer in an accident, are called “Third-Party Benefits”.  A Third-Party claim is filed against the driver whose negligence caused the car accident.

  • What do I need to win my accident case?

    You must show that you have suffered a “threshold injury” to win against a careless driver to recover non-economic damages in a “Third Party” claim.

    Michigan law defines a “threshold injury” as:

    …serious impairment of an important body function, serious disfigurement or scarring, or death.

    It is common for the insurance company and their attorneys to assert that an injury is not a “serious impairment of a body function.”

    If you have an an injury that effects your ability to live your normal life, then contact our office to protect your rights. Get the Bernstein Advantage® today.

  • How long after an accident can I bring a claim?

    How long after an accident can I bring a claim? Image

    To make the strongest possible case, you need to start as soon as possible with the collection of evidence and the identification of potential witnesses.

    You have THREE YEARS from the date of a motor vehicle accident to file a claim for Third-Party Benefits. This means that if you do not file a lawsuit against those at fault for the accident before the end of that period, you will forever lose your right to file a lawsuit against those responsible for the incident.

    Minors have until one year past their 18th birthday to file a lawsuit. There are other exceptions for military personnel, mentally incapacitated individuals, and survivors of individuals killed in a car accident.

    You have a ONE YEAR limitation to file a claim for reimbursement for No-Fault First-Party Benefits such as wage loss, medical bills, attendant care, and mileage reimbursement. You can collect on these losses for longer than a year, but you must file a lawsuit within one year of when the expense was incurred.

  • Will my medical bills be covered for life?

    Yes. Michigan law requires that no-fault related medical coverage continue for life, or for as long as you need treatment, for injuries suffered in a motor vehicle accident. However, many factors may complicate payment of your medical bills. If you have questions about the way these complex issues apply to you, contact us now.

    To qualify for medical expense reimbursement, a medical bill must be reasonable (in cost and necessity) and the expense must be actually incurred, meaning you must have already completed the appointment or procedure. The law does not provide for guaranteed pre-payment of bills for treatment of injuries resulting from an accident. Sometimes, an insurance company will try to escape its responsibility by questioning the need for a medical test or procedure ordered by your physician or by disputing the amount of the bill.

    Michigan’s No-Fault insurance providers offer two types of medical coverage:
    1. Uncoordinated benefits
    2. Coordinated benefits

    An uncoordinated policy pays benefits, regardless of the presence of other health insurance.

    A coordinated policy requires your other health insurance to pay first, and your automobile insurance to pay amounts that your primary health insurer does not cover. Your auto insurance policy states which type of benefits you should receive.

    It is common for a primary health insurance policy and auto insurance policy to contain contradictory language regarding which policy is first obligated to pay medical bills. If you have questions about this or are experiencing difficulty getting your medical bills in a timely manner, it is important to contact us immediately.

  • Can I recover lost wages?

    Yes. Michigan law allows you to receive 85% of your lost wages if you are disabled from work due to injuries suffered in a motor vehicle accident. This benefit is tax-free and lasts up to three years.

    The law also sets a monthly cap on the amount of lost wages that the auto insurance company must reimburse.

    Contact us for help addressing issues related to no-fault benefits and lost wages.

  • Who will take care of me while I am recovering?

    Attendant Care

    Michigan law requires an insurance company to pay for attendant care and nursing services if you need supervision or assistance while recovering at home. A severely injured person may need around-the-clock supervision.

    If a member of your family is helping take care of you, they may be entitled to reimbursement. Though the law does not set a specific hourly rate for the caregiver, the reimbursement should reflect the type and complexity of the services that you receive.

    Replacement Services for Chores and Errands

    An accident can prevent you from completing household services, chores, and errands. If you have paid or promised to pay for activities which you previously accomplished on your own, then you may be entitled to reimbursement for these expenses.

    Your physician may need to provide a written statement identifying the tasks you are unable to do on your own. Michigan law states that an auto insurance company is obligated to reimburse up to $20 per day for replacement services and that these benefits last for up to three (3) years.

    Contact us for help addressing issues related to no-fault benefits and lost wages.

  • What if the driver who hit me had been drinking? (Drunk Driver)

    If the negligent driver was intoxicated, then a “Dramshop” Claim may exist. This is the legal term for a lawsuit against a liquor store, bar, or other business, which illegally sold alcohol to the person whose unlawful behavior caused an accident. Whether or not the sale of alcohol was legal may be based on the sale of alcohol to either a minor (under age 21) or to a visibly intoxicated adult.

    Michigan law requires the accident victim to assert the claim against the seller of the alcohol within 120 days after he or she retains an attorney. Therefore, contact us immediately if your accident involved a drunk driver.

  • Can I collect reimbursement for travel to my treatment?

    Yes. Often, proper medical treatment, tests, and physical therapy require travelling long distances. Michigan law provides for the reimbursement for mileage traveled to and from medical care.

  • Who pays for my First-Party No-Fault Benefits?

    Under Michigan’s No-Fault law, the injured person’s own auto insurance company pays most of the economic losses caused by a motor vehicle accident. Michigan law establishes an “order of priority” to determine the correct insurance company that is responsible to pay.

    1. Your own insurance policy, if none then…
    2. The insurance company of a resident relative (i.e. spouse, parent, or sibling), if none then…
    3. The insurer of the owner of the vehicle occupied, if none then…
    4. The insurer of the driver of the vehicle occupied, if none then…
    5. The State of Michigan Assigned Claims Facility.

    The Michigan Assigned Claims Facility is the State Agency with the power to assign an insurance company to provide benefits to an injured victim who is not eligible for other No-Fault insurance coverage. To get an application for these Benefits, you can contact the Assigned Claims Facility directly at 517-322-1875.

    This order of priority changes if you were riding a motorcycle.

  • Landmark Cases in No-Fault Law

    Under Michigan Compiled Laws §550.3135, a cause of action for damages may be brought by a person who has suffered serious impairment of body function or permanent serious disfigurement.  The definition of “serious impairment of a body function” is considered a verbal threshold, since the term is not defined specifically in the statute.  The question of what constitutes serious impairment of a body function has been debated ever since the law took effect in 1973.

    In 1982, the Michigan Supreme Court asserted its first interpretation of “serious impairment of bodily function” in Cassidy v. McGovern.  The court established a threshold that specified that an injury must affect the ability to live a normal life.  Since “a normal life” can be loosely defined, few plaintiffs were able to recover non-economic damages under Cassidy.  Only those who were completely unable to work and/or care for themselves were considered disabled enough to qualify under this standard.

    In 1986, the Michigan Supreme Court decided the DiFranco v. Pickard case, in which the definition of “serious impairment of a body function” was expanded.  The court held that an injured party must show that there is a physical basis for subjective complaints of pain and suffering.  Factors to consider included the extent of the impairment, the body function affected, the length of time of impairment, and the treatment required.  The more generous interpretation opened the doors for fairer recovery for personal injury plaintiffs.

    The success experienced after DiFranco lasted until 2004, when the Michigan Supreme Court decided Kreiner v. Fischer and narrowed the definition of “serious impairment of bodily injury” to an injury that affects the general ability to lead a normal life.  Under Kreiner, it was insufficient for an injury to affect just part of one’s life, and could not be a mere minor interruption.  Therefore, a person who suffered and eventually recovered from a severe injury, or a person who suffered an isolated injury but could still proceed with his/her life, was unlikely to be compensated for the injuries.

    McCormick v. Carrier, decided by the Michigan Supreme Court in 2010, expanded the restrictive definition of “serious impairment of a body function” that had been imposed under Kreiner.  Where under Kreiner a person had to show total disruption of his/her life, under McCormick, an injured victim has only to establish that the impairment affected some of the person’s capacity to lead a normal life.  Under this more inclusive standard, many more people are able to be compensated for their injuries.

    Under the new amended no-fault statute enacted June 11, 2019, the expanded definition of “serious impairment of a body function” provided by the Michigan Supreme Court in the McCormick case was adopted by the legislature.  Accordingly, the definition is no longer subject to interpretation by the Courts.


    • Cassidy v. McGovern, 330 NW 2d 22 (1982)
    • DiFranco v. Pickard, 287 NW 2d 896 (1986)
    • Kreiner v. Fischer, 683 NW2d 611 (2004)
    • McCormick v. Carrier, 795 NW2d 517 (2010)